compile with ptxas

ggeo
Hello,

is there a way to compile pycuda with ptxas?

Like this ?

nvcc test.cu -Xptxas --verbose

Re: compile with ptxas

Andreas Kloeckner
ggeo <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> is there a way to compile pycuda with ptxas?
>
> Like this ?
>
> nvcc test.cu -Xptxas --verbose

I'm not understanding what you mean. You want to compile
PyCUDA-the-package with ptxas, even though it's written in C++? You want
to write kernels in ptx? (If so, sure, just pass whatever options you
want in 'options' to SourceModule)

HTH,
Andreas

Re: compile with ptxas

ggeo
I just want to be able to show me the informations  (registers primarly)

Thanks!

Re: compile with ptxas

ggeo
This post was updated on .
I am trying

 mod = SourceModule("""
    __global__ void func(float *a)
      {
      }
      """, options=['-Xptxas'])

or -ptx   but it doesn't work

Re: compile with ptxas

Andreas Kloeckner
ggeo <[hidden email]> writes:
> I just want to be able to show me the informations  (registers primarly)

http://documen.tician.de/pycuda/driver.html#pycuda.driver.Function.num_regs

Andreas

Re: compile with ptxas

ggeo
I can't manage to get it work . I am not so experience with using that ..:)

Could you provide me an example?

Thanks a lot!

Re: compile with ptxas

Yiyin Zhou
Try
options=["--ptxas-options=-v"] or something else in this fashion
Yiyin

On Aug 31, 2012, at 12:43 PM, ggeo wrote:

> I am trying
>
> mod = SourceModule("""
>    __global__ void func(float *a)
>      {
>      }
>      """, options=['-Xptxas'])
>
> or -ptxas   but it doesn't work

Re: compile with ptxas

ggeo
I am trying different approaches but it doesn't work..

Thank you.

Re: compile with ptxas

Yiyin Zhou
Hi,
Could you be more specific about the part that is not working?
Was there any error prompting out?
Was your kernel actually being compiled or it was loaded from the cache?
The messages will only show up when pycuda compile the kernel, but
not some code that has been previously compiled.
Yiyin

On Aug 31, 2012, at 2:04 PM, ggeo wrote:

> I am trying different approaches but it doesn't work..
>
> Thank you.

Re: compile with ptxas

ggeo
Hello,

It seems it worked before but because i was printing the output it didn't appear.

And also , after disabling the printed output ,it didn't appear due to the cached loading!

Thanks for mentioning it!

Also,where can i find which options to use with ptxas? (i just downloaded some manuals from nvidia and i will check them later)

Thank you.

Re: compile with ptxas

Yiyin Zhou
You can find them in the nvcc manual, official name is
The Cuda Compiler Driver NVCC
Yiyin