[PyCUDA] test_driver.py problem

Julien Cornebise
Hi,

New to pyCuda, and very excited by the possibilities, I'm
unfortunately having a LaunchError problem with test_driver.py. I have
tried to trace it down using printf() and such, and it seems that the
last push over the cliff is in cuda.hpp
context::prepare_context_switch(), line 505, a cuCtxPopCurrent returns
CUDA_LAUNCH_FAILED -- although CUDA 3.1 Reference Manual p. 412 does
not list it as a possible return but adds that it "may also return
error codes from previous, asynchronous launches.", which I hence
assume is the case.

My rusted C/C++ skills do not allow me to go further, nor to be even
sure that's the real problem.

I'm using PyCUDA as checked out from git tonight, and Cuda 3.1 on
Linux Ubuntu 10.04, with Python 2.6.5, and a brand new Geforce GTX
470.
The GPU is fully functioning: I run all CUDA SDK's examples without a problem.
I also run pyCUDA test_math.py with no problem. (20 passed)
Attached is the output of running
python test_driver.py &>> out
with CUDA_TRACE = 1.

That's how far I've been able to go by myself, so now I'm turning to
you: any help much welcome, thank you ! :)

Julien Cornebise, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow, University of British Columbia
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~cornebis/

Re: test_driver.py problem

Julien Cornebise
Dear all,
I have been trying with pycuda 0.94rc (instead of latest GIT commit),
and the problem stays the same :( And correction: I'm using python
2.6.4 (not 2.6.5)
Would anybody have an idea, please ? Any help much appreciated !
Thanks

Julien

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 12:16 AM, Julien Cornebise
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> New to pyCuda, and very excited by the possibilities, I'm
> unfortunately having a LaunchError problem with test_driver.py. I have
> tried to trace it down using printf() and such, and it seems that the
> last push over the cliff is in cuda.hpp
> context::prepare_context_switch(), line 505, a cuCtxPopCurrent returns
> CUDA_LAUNCH_FAILED -- although CUDA 3.1 Reference Manual p. 412 does
> not list it as a possible return but adds that it "may also return
> error codes from previous, asynchronous launches.", which I hence
> assume is the case.
>
> My rusted C/C++ skills do not allow me to go further, nor to be even
> sure that's the real problem.
>
> I'm using PyCUDA as checked out from git tonight, and Cuda 3.1 on
> Linux Ubuntu 10.04, with Python 2.6.5, and a brand new Geforce GTX
> 470.
> The GPU is fully functioning: I run all CUDA SDK's examples without a problem.
> I also run pyCUDA test_math.py with no problem. (20 passed)
> Attached is the output of running
> python test_driver.py &>> out
> with CUDA_TRACE = 1.
>
> That's how far I've been able to go by myself, so now I'm turning to
> you: any help much welcome, thank you ! :)
>
> Julien Cornebise, Ph.D.
> Postdoctoral Fellow, University of British Columbia
> http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~cornebis/

Re: test_driver.py problem

Tomasz Rybak
Dnia 2010-07-13, wto o godzinie 11:22 -0400, Julien Cornebise pisze:
> Dear all,
> I have been trying with pycuda 0.94rc (instead of latest GIT commit),
> and the problem stays the same :( And correction: I'm using python
> 2.6.4 (not 2.6.5)
> Would anybody have an idea, please ? Any help much appreciated !
> Thanks

Which version of drivers are you using?
I have noticed on Debian that when I am on drivers
195.36.24, CUDA 3.1 does not work, returning library errors.
I had to go back to CUDA toolkit 3.0 to get working programs.

Maybe this is your problem?

Regards.

--
Tomasz Rybak <[hidden email]> GPG/PGP key ID: 2AD5 9860
Fingerprint A481 824E 7DD3 9C0E C40A  488E C654 FB33 2AD5 9860

Re: test_driver.py problem

Julien Cornebise
Thank you very much for the suggestion.
However, I am using drivers 256.35, with which CUDA 3.1 seems to work
fine: all of the tests coming with the Toolktit runs flawlessly, both
those based on CudaRT and those based on driver-mode, as well as the
test_math.py pyCuda test.
Any other idea please ?

Julien

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Tomasz Rybak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dnia 2010-07-13, wto o godzinie 11:22 -0400, Julien Cornebise pisze:
>> Dear all,
>> I have been trying with pycuda 0.94rc (instead of latest GIT commit),
>> and the problem stays the same :( And correction: I'm using python
>> 2.6.4 (not 2.6.5)
>> Would anybody have an idea, please ? Any help much appreciated !
>> Thanks
>>

> Which version of drivers are you using?
> I have noticed on Debian that when I am on drivers
> 195.36.24, CUDA 3.1 does not work, returning library errors.
> I had to go back to CUDA toolkit 3.0 to get working programs.
>
> Maybe this is your problem?
>
> Regards.
>
> --
> Tomasz Rybak <[hidden email]> GPG/PGP key ID: 2AD5 9860
> Fingerprint A481 824E 7DD3 9C0E C40A  488E C654 FB33 2AD5 9860
> http://member.acm.org/~tomaszrybak

Re: test_driver.py problem

Ian Ozsvald
On installing my GTX 480 a couple of weeks back I noticed errors too.

test_math.py works fine
test_gpuarray.py has soft errors - it looks like the precision of some
of the results breaks the assertions
test_driver.py has hard erros - the equivalent of a seg fault followed
by instability for me requiring a reboot.

I'm using WinXP SP3 32 bit, CUDA 3.1, the latest WHQL drivers (257.21)
last week and the latest beta (258.96) this week. My pyCUDA is latest
as of yesterday.

With a GT220 (9th generation) and 9800GT (8th generation) with CUDA
3.1 I don't see these problems.

I confess I've ignored them so far so I could push on with my client's
problems. I had awful instability issues a few weeks back, I think
whenever I hit memory badly (e.g. sending a double but receiving a
float) then the system with a GTX 480 becomes very unstable, it locks
up a few minutes later requiring a hard reset.

For me all the CUDA demos work fine and the pyCUDA examples are fine
(I've been using my mandelbrot.py [see wiki] as the main testing point
as I'm using complex<double> for my physics code).

This is an example of the error I see in test_driver.py that leads to
a locked system:
----
c:\python26\lib\site-packages\pycuda-0.94rc-py2.6-win32.egg\pycuda\tools.py:217:
RuntimeError
==================================== 18 failed in 0.61 seconds
====================================
Error in atexit._run_exitfuncs:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:\python26\lib\atexit.py", line 24, in _run_exitfuncs
    func(*targs, **kargs)
LogicError: cuCtxPopCurrent failed: invalid context
Error in sys.exitfunc:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:\python26\lib\atexit.py", line 24, in _run_exitfuncs
    func(*targs, **kargs)
pycuda._driver.LogicError: cuCtxPopCurrent failed: invalid context
PyCUDA ERROR: The context stack was not empty upon module cleanup.
A context was still active when the context stack was being
cleaned up. At this point in our execution, CUDA may already
have been deinitialized, so there is no way we can finish
cleanly. The program will be aborted now.
Use Context.pop() to avoid this problem.
----

i.

On 14 July 2010 20:17, Julien Cornebise <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you very much for the suggestion.
> However, I am using drivers 256.35, with which CUDA 3.1 seems to work
> fine: all of the tests coming with the Toolktit runs flawlessly, both
> those based on CudaRT and those based on driver-mode, as well as the
> test_math.py pyCuda test.
> Any other idea please ?
>
> Julien
>

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Tomasz Rybak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dnia 2010-07-13, wto o godzinie 11:22 -0400, Julien Cornebise pisze:
>>> Dear all,
>>> I have been trying with pycuda 0.94rc (instead of latest GIT commit),
>>> and the problem stays the same :( And correction: I'm using python
>>> 2.6.4 (not 2.6.5)
>>> Would anybody have an idea, please ? Any help much appreciated !
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> Which version of drivers are you using?
>> I have noticed on Debian that when I am on drivers
>> 195.36.24, CUDA 3.1 does not work, returning library errors.
>> I had to go back to CUDA toolkit 3.0 to get working programs.
>>
>> Maybe this is your problem?
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> --
>> Tomasz Rybak <[hidden email]> GPG/PGP key ID: 2AD5 9860
>> Fingerprint A481 824E 7DD3 9C0E C40A  488E C654 FB33 2AD5 9860
>> http://member.acm.org/~tomaszrybak

Ian Ozsvald (A.I. researcher, screencaster)
[hidden email]

http://IanOzsvald.com
http://MorConsulting.com/
http://blog.AICookbook.com/
http://TheScreencastingHandbook.com
http://FivePoundApp.com/
http://twitter.com/IanOzsvald

Re: test_driver.py problem

Julien Cornebise
Thanks Ian. For Mandelbrot, a/ can't fetch it
(download-examples-from-wiki complains about an error in it) b/ tried
the version you just updated, but as I have no display right now
(remote login), won't work :)

As for gpu_array.py, I have the same problem as you: first some soft
errors, then some hard errors, again related to the context stack.
Enclosed is the result with trace on.
The context errors you have in test_driver.py are the  same I have.

Any dev here would know why those context errors pop up please -- or
at least have enough of an idea so that we can fill a bug report ?
Thanks !

Julien

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 5:59 AM, Ian Ozsvald <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> However, I am using drivers 256.35, with which CUDA 3.1 seems to work
>> fine: all of the tests coming with the Toolktit runs flawlessly, both
>> those based on CudaRT and those based on driver-mode, as well as the
>> test_math.py pyCuda test.
>> Any other idea please ?
>>
>> Julien

>>> Which version of drivers are you using?
>>> I have noticed on Debian that when I am on drivers
>>> 195.36.24, CUDA 3.1 does not work, returning library errors.
>>> I had to go back to CUDA toolkit 3.0 to get working programs.
>>>
>>> Maybe this is your problem?
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tomasz Rybak <[hidden email]> GPG/PGP key ID: 2AD5 9860
>>> Fingerprint A481 824E 7DD3 9C0E C40A  488E C654 FB33 2AD5 9860
>>> http://member.acm.org/~tomaszrybak

> Ian Ozsvald (A.I. researcher, screencaster)

test_gpuarray.txt (75K) Download Attachment

Re: test_driver.py problem

Andreas Kloeckner
Hi Julien,

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 21:16:36 -0700, Julien Cornebise <[hidden email]> wrote:

> New to pyCuda, and very excited by the possibilities, I'm
> unfortunately having a LaunchError problem with test_driver.py. I have
> tried to trace it down using printf() and such, and it seems that the
> last push over the cliff is in cuda.hpp
> context::prepare_context_switch(), line 505, a cuCtxPopCurrent returns
> CUDA_LAUNCH_FAILED -- although CUDA 3.1 Reference Manual p. 412 does
> not list it as a possible return but adds that it "may also return
> error codes from previous, asynchronous launches.", which I hence
> assume is the case.
>
> My rusted C/C++ skills do not allow me to go further, nor to be even
> sure that's the real problem.
>
> I'm using PyCUDA as checked out from git tonight, and Cuda 3.1 on
> Linux Ubuntu 10.04, with Python 2.6.5, and a brand new Geforce GTX
> 470.
> The GPU is fully functioning: I run all CUDA SDK's examples without a problem.
> I also run pyCUDA test_math.py with no problem. (20 passed)
> Attached is the output of running
> python test_driver.py &>> out
> with CUDA_TRACE = 1.
>
> That's how far I've been able to go by myself, so now I'm turning to
> you: any help much welcome, thank you ! :)
Sorry for the late reply--at SIAM AN10 currently. (Btw Bryan: I'll be at
your talk later. Anyone else want to meet up?)

This should be fixed in git--Fermi GPUs apparently minds misaligned
access, which was what one test in there was doing.

HTH,
Andreas

Re: test_driver.py problem

Julien Cornebise
Awesome, thanks Andreas ! Indeed test_driver.py works perfectly now.
test_gpuarray.py still fails 10 out of 23, are they the same reason ?
[output attached if you want to have a look].

In any case, that means that the GPU is indeed working good, and that
so does pyCUDA, then, thank you !
Have fun in SIAM meeting -- here, enjoying SAMSI Summer Workshop,
where the possibilities of GPU to speed-up Bayesian analysis of
Pharmacokinetics/Pharmacodynamics (PK/PD) data seem to have interested
the PK/PD people, often bothered by the amount of time required by
Monte-Carlo methods.

Cheers,

Julien

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Andreas Kloeckner
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Julien,
>
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 21:16:36 -0700, Julien Cornebise <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> New to pyCuda, and very excited by the possibilities, I'm
>> unfortunately having a LaunchError problem with test_driver.py. I have
>> tried to trace it down using printf() and such, and it seems that the
>> last push over the cliff is in cuda.hpp
>> context::prepare_context_switch(), line 505, a cuCtxPopCurrent returns
>> CUDA_LAUNCH_FAILED -- although CUDA 3.1 Reference Manual p. 412 does
>> not list it as a possible return but adds that it "may also return
>> error codes from previous, asynchronous launches.", which I hence
>> assume is the case.
>>
>> My rusted C/C++ skills do not allow me to go further, nor to be even
>> sure that's the real problem.
>>
>> I'm using PyCUDA as checked out from git tonight, and Cuda 3.1 on
>> Linux Ubuntu 10.04, with Python 2.6.5, and a brand new Geforce GTX
>> 470.
>> The GPU is fully functioning: I run all CUDA SDK's examples without a problem.
>> I also run pyCUDA test_math.py with no problem. (20 passed)
>> Attached is the output of running
>> python test_driver.py &>> out
>> with CUDA_TRACE = 1.
>>
>> That's how far I've been able to go by myself, so now I'm turning to
>> you: any help much welcome, thank you ! :)
>
> Sorry for the late reply--at SIAM AN10 currently. (Btw Bryan: I'll be at
> your talk later. Anyone else want to meet up?)
>
> This should be fixed in git--Fermi GPUs apparently minds misaligned
> access, which was what one test in there was doing.
>
> HTH,
> Andreas

Re: test_driver.py problem

Julien Cornebise
The daemon of forgotten attachment strikes again. Corrected. Sorry about that.

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Julien Cornebise
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Awesome, thanks Andreas ! Indeed test_driver.py works perfectly now.
> test_gpuarray.py still fails 10 out of 23, are they the same reason ?
> [output attached if you want to have a look].
>
> In any case, that means that the GPU is indeed working good, and that
> so does pyCUDA, then, thank you !
> Have fun in SIAM meeting -- here, enjoying SAMSI Summer Workshop,
> where the possibilities of GPU to speed-up Bayesian analysis of
> Pharmacokinetics/Pharmacodynamics (PK/PD) data seem to have interested
> the PK/PD people, often bothered by the amount of time required by
> Monte-Carlo methods.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Julien
>
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Andreas Kloeckner
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Julien,
>>
>> On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 21:16:36 -0700, Julien Cornebise <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> New to pyCuda, and very excited by the possibilities, I'm
>>> unfortunately having a LaunchError problem with test_driver.py. I have
>>> tried to trace it down using printf() and such, and it seems that the
>>> last push over the cliff is in cuda.hpp
>>> context::prepare_context_switch(), line 505, a cuCtxPopCurrent returns
>>> CUDA_LAUNCH_FAILED -- although CUDA 3.1 Reference Manual p. 412 does
>>> not list it as a possible return but adds that it "may also return
>>> error codes from previous, asynchronous launches.", which I hence
>>> assume is the case.
>>>
>>> My rusted C/C++ skills do not allow me to go further, nor to be even
>>> sure that's the real problem.
>>>
>>> I'm using PyCUDA as checked out from git tonight, and Cuda 3.1 on
>>> Linux Ubuntu 10.04, with Python 2.6.5, and a brand new Geforce GTX
>>> 470.
>>> The GPU is fully functioning: I run all CUDA SDK's examples without a problem.
>>> I also run pyCUDA test_math.py with no problem. (20 passed)
>>> Attached is the output of running
>>> python test_driver.py &>> out
>>> with CUDA_TRACE = 1.
>>>
>>> That's how far I've been able to go by myself, so now I'm turning to
>>> you: any help much welcome, thank you ! :)
>>
>> Sorry for the late reply--at SIAM AN10 currently. (Btw Bryan: I'll be at
>> your talk later. Anyone else want to meet up?)
>>
>> This should be fixed in git--Fermi GPUs apparently minds misaligned
>> access, which was what one test in there was doing.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Andreas

out_gpuarray.txt (45K) Download Attachment

Re: test_driver.py problem

Andreas Kloeckner
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 17:40:27 -0400, Julien Cornebise <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The daemon of forgotten attachment strikes again. Corrected. Sorry about that.
>
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Julien Cornebise
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Awesome, thanks Andreas ! Indeed test_driver.py works perfectly now.
> > test_gpuarray.py still fails 10 out of 23, are they the same reason ?
> > [output attached if you want to have a look].

Odd, I can't reproduce these issues on the Fermis I have access to. (a
480 and a couple C2050s) Something is odd, too--these
NotImplementedErrors should be gone--did you get a partial git update
somehow? (Ian implemented these a while ago IIRC)

> > In any case, that means that the GPU is indeed working good, and that
> > so does pyCUDA, then, thank you !
> > Have fun in SIAM meeting -- here, enjoying SAMSI Summer Workshop,
> > where the possibilities of GPU to speed-up Bayesian analysis of
> > Pharmacokinetics/Pharmacodynamics (PK/PD) data seem to have interested
> > the PK/PD people, often bothered by the amount of time required by
> > Monte-Carlo methods.

Cool--if you end up with a nice application of PyCUDA, please consider
adding it to the PyCUDA showcase:

http://wiki.tiker.net/PyCuda/ShowCase

Andreas

Re: test_driver.py problem

Julien Cornebise
> Odd, I can't reproduce these issues on the Fermis I have access to. (a
> 480 and a couple C2050s) Something is odd, too--these
> NotImplementedErrors should be gone--did you get a partial git update
> somehow? (Ian implemented these a while ago IIRC)

Woops, indeed, my bad: I last ran make install on 0.94rc during my
tests, not on the latest git. Corrected !
So now indeed test_gpuarray.py only fails 4 tests (29 success):
minmax, subset_minmax, sum, and dot. Attached is the output.  Looks
liike numerical asserts failing...

> Cool--if you end up with a nice application of PyCUDA, please consider
> adding it to the PyCUDA showcase:

Sure will ! I may have to use Matlab (sigh) and MEX-files for this
very project, though, that my collaborators use more easily -- but I'm
not against pushing it to python later on ! pyCUDA seems actually
much, much more comfortable than using MEX files (not even getting
into python vs Matlab, nuff said).

Julien

out_gpuarray.txt (21K) Download Attachment