[PyCUDA] Python 2 packages removal from Debian

[PyCUDA] Python 2 packages removal from Debian

Tomasz Rybak-2
Hello.

I sent similar email to more mailing lists, all related to PyGPGPU
packages. Sorry if you receive this many times; I'll follow all replys.

Debian Python Team is working on removal of Python 2 from
unstable/testing which means that most probably next Debian stable
(Bullseye) will contain neither Python 2 nor packages for it.
Here is discussion:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2019/07/msg00080.html
and here are pages with statistics of this process
http://sandrotosi.me/debian/py2removal/index.html
https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/python2-rm.html

This change will not touch current Debian stable - only testing,
unstable, and next Debian stable (which will probably be released
around 2021 or so).

Before I remove Python 2 support for my packages, I'd like to gather
some feedback. So if you're using PyCUDA under Python 2 on Debian,
please respond. Do you plan to migrate? In which timeframe?
If now - why? What will happen if I remove PyCUDA packages?
Please respond by the end of September. I'll gather all responses and
shall summarize them (possibly even if they don't directly touch
PyCUDA).

Best regards.

--
Tomasz Rybak, Debian Developer <[hidden email]>
GPG: A565 CE64 F866 A258 4DDC F9C7 ECB7 3E37 E887 AA8C