[PyCUDA] LogicError: cuMemHostAlloc failed: OS call failed or operation not supported on this OS

[PyCUDA] LogicError: cuMemHostAlloc failed: OS call failed or operation not supported on this OS

Ali Punjani
Hi pyCUDA developers,

We develop scientific software for molecular biology applications using pyCUDA. A user is having a very strange issue where the same code works perfectly fine on the same machine (with CUDA 10.1) with GTX 1060 cards, but not with Titan XP cards. The error message is

LogicError: cuMemHostAlloc failed: OS call failed or operation not supported on this OS

Is there any explanation of what this could mean? Initial googling does not return many reports of anything similar.

Thanks,
Ali

[PyCUDA] Re: LogicError: cuMemHostAlloc failed: OS call failed or operation not supported on this OS

Andreas Kloeckner
Dear Ali,

Ali Punjani <[hidden email]> writes:

> We develop scientific software for molecular biology applications using
> pyCUDA. A user is having a very strange issue where the same code works
> perfectly fine on the same machine (with CUDA 10.1) with GTX 1060 cards,
> but not with Titan XP cards. The error message is
>
> *LogicError: cuMemHostAlloc failed: OS call failed or operation not
> supported on this OS*
>
> Is there any explanation of what this could mean? Initial googling does not
> return many reports of anything similar.
>
> A more detailed report of the issue is here:
> https://discuss.cryosparc.com/t/logicerror-cumemhostalloc-failed-os-call-failed-or-operation-not-supported-on-this-os/3278
I'm sorry to say that I've never seen or heard of this error
message. One thing that comes to mind is that this might be an issue of
PCIe versioning. The 1060 might be PCIe3, while the XP might be PCIe2
(guessing, might be better to check), and driver support might
differ. Is this on a  Windows or Linux machine?

Andreas

[PyCUDA] Re: LogicError: cuMemHostAlloc failed: OS call failed or operation not supported on this OS

Ali Punjani
Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the quick response!
This is on a Linux machine, and apparently one of the tests the user did was to take a machine where this error was happening on both Titan XP cards that were installed, and swap one of them for a 1060. After this, the error did not occur on the 1060, but did continue to occur on the Titan XP.. I'm not quite sure what to conclude from that actually. I will ask the user to try updating/downgrading the driver version and see what happens.

Thanks!
Ali