[PyCUDA] Import Error: No module named compyte.dtypes

[PyCUDA] Import Error: No module named compyte.dtypes

Dan Guralnik
Hello,

When attempting to run pycuda (the latest 2019 version), I encounter the following error message from python (2.7):

------------------
  File "test_cuda.py", line 9, in <module>
     import pycuda.tools
   File "C:\Users\kotmasha\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\pycuda\tools.py", line 44, in <module>
     from pycuda.compyte.dtypes import (
ImportError: No module named compyte.dtypes
------------------

Do you think my installation is missing something? If so, what is and why? (I've refreshed pip, setuptools, pytools ahead of installing pycuda)

Thanks,
-Dan

--
Dan Guralnīk, Ph.D.
Postoctoral Researcher

[PyCUDA] Re: Import Error: No module named compyte.dtypes

Andreas Kloeckner
Dan Guralnik <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> When attempting to run pycuda (the latest 2019 version), I encounter the following error message from python (2.7):
>
> ------------------
>   File "test_cuda.py", line 9, in <module>
>      import pycuda.tools
>    File "C:\Users\kotmasha\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\pycuda\tools.py", line 44, in <module>
>      from pycuda.compyte.dtypes import (
> ImportError: No module named compyte.dtypes
> ------------------
>
> Do you think my installation is missing something? If so, what is and
> why? (I've refreshed pip, setuptools, pytools ahead of installing
> pycuda)
I'm guessing you downloaded the release from Github. If so, don't do
that. Grab it from https://pypi.org. Github insists on making available
broken tarballs that I can't even turn off.

Andreas

[PyCUDA] Re: Import Error: No module named compyte.dtypes

Dan Guralnik
Thanks!

Actually, I originally got the wheel from
(https://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#pycuda).

Then I tried again after reinstalling using "pip install pycuda".

Finally, I've just now tried building and installing the version posted
at link you've provided, yielding the same results.

Could this have anything to do with my doing this on a Windows 10 machine?

- Dan

--
Dan Guralnīk, Ph.D.
Postoctoral Researcher
University of Pennsylvania
Electrical & Systems Engineering

[PyCUDA] Re: Import Error: No module named compyte.dtypes

Andreas Kloeckner
Dan Guralnik <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thanks!
>
> Actually, I originally got the wheel from
> (https://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#pycuda).
>
> Then I tried again after reinstalling using "pip install pycuda".
>
> Finally, I've just now tried building and installing the version posted
> at link you've provided, yielding the same results.
>
> Could this have anything to do with my doing this on a Windows 10 machine?
Super weird.  This file:

https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/4d/29/5a3eb66c2f1a4adc681f6c8131e9ed677af31b0c8a78726d540bd44b3403/pycuda-2019.1.tar.gz

(the download linked from https://pypi.org/project/pycuda/#files)
contains pycuda/compyte/dtypes.py for me. After installing that, could
you check your site-packages to see whether it got installed? Maybe
you've got a stale copy of PyCUDA floating around somewhere else on your
Python path?

It does look like Christoph's binaries [1] (I checked
pycuda‑2019.1+cuda101‑cp37‑cp37m‑win_amd64.whl) are missing the compyte
files. I've cc'd Christoph to see if that's intentional.

[1] https://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#pycuda

Andreas

[PyCUDA] Re: Import Error: No module named compyte.dtypes

Christoph Gohlke
I did build from the github releases at
<https://github.com/inducer/pycuda/releases/tag/v2019.1>. I keep
forgetting that the Github source releases don't include the compyte code.

Christoph

On 5/24/2019 11:33 AM, Andreas Kloeckner wrote:

> Dan Guralnik <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Actually, I originally got the wheel from
>> (https://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#pycuda).
>>
>> Then I tried again after reinstalling using "pip install pycuda".
>>
>> Finally, I've just now tried building and installing the version posted
>> at link you've provided, yielding the same results.
>>
>> Could this have anything to do with my doing this on a Windows 10 machine?
>
> Super weird.  This file:
>
> https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/4d/29/5a3eb66c2f1a4adc681f6c8131e9ed677af31b0c8a78726d540bd44b3403/pycuda-2019.1.tar.gz
>
> (the download linked from https://pypi.org/project/pycuda/#files)
> contains pycuda/compyte/dtypes.py for me. After installing that, could
> you check your site-packages to see whether it got installed? Maybe
> you've got a stale copy of PyCUDA floating around somewhere else on your
> Python path?
>
> It does look like Christoph's binaries [1] (I checked
> pycuda‑2019.1+cuda101‑cp37‑cp37m‑win_amd64.whl) are missing the compyte
> files. I've cc'd Christoph to see if that's intentional.
>
> [1] https://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#pycuda
>
> Andreas

[PyCUDA] Re: Import Error: No module named compyte.dtypes

Dan Guralnik
Things seem to be working fine now.

I am utterly grateful for the two fathers of pycuda taking time away
from work to take care of my beginner's problems!

Cheers,

-Dan