ImportError: No module named _driver

Riccardo Taormina
Hi everybody,

I am new on PyCuda. I just installed everything on Windows XP and, from the installation log, I think that I did it properly. However, I tried to run the test files provided with pycuda and I get this error

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\PyCuda\test\test_gpuarray.py", line 2, in <module>
    import pycuda.autoinit
  File "C:\PyCuda\pycuda\autoinit.py", line 1, in <module>
    import pycuda.driver as cuda
  File "C:\PyCuda\pycuda\driver.py", line 1, in <module>
    from _driver import *
ImportError: No module named _driver

how can I solve it?

thanks and sorry for the newbieness of this post

den3b

Chiacchiera ovunque ti trovi. Prova il nuovo Web Messenger

Re: ImportError: No module named _driver

Riccardo Taormina
Problem solved.
Sorry for bothering you!

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 13:14:16 +0100
Subject: [PyCUDA] ImportError: No module named _driver

Hi everybody,

I am new on PyCuda. I just installed everything on Windows XP and, from the installation log, I think that I did it properly. However, I tried to run the test files provided with pycuda and I get this error

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\PyCuda\test\test_gpuarray.py", line 2, in <module>
    import pycuda.autoinit
  File "C:\PyCuda\pycuda\autoinit.py", line 1, in <module>
    import pycuda.driver as cuda
  File "C:\PyCuda\pycuda\driver.py", line 1, in <module>
    from _driver import *
ImportError: No module named _driver

how can I solve it?

thanks and sorry for the newbieness of this post

den3b

Chiacchiera ovunque ti trovi. Prova il nuovo Web Messenger

Suonerie, sfondi, screensaver: personalizza PC e cellulare

Re: ImportError: No module named _driver

Vu Nguyen
Riccardo Taormina <den3b@...> writes:

> Problem solved.Sorry for bothering you!From: den3b-
[hidden email]: pycuda-
[hidden email]: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 13:14:16
+0100Subject: [PyCUDA] ImportError: No module named _driver
> .ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P
> {padding:0px;}
> .ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage
> {font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;}
>

> Hi everybody,I am new on PyCuda. I just installed everything on Windows XP
and, from the installation log, I think that I did it properly. However, I tried
to run the test files provided with pycuda and I get this errorTraceback (most
recent call last):  File "C:\PyCuda\test\test_gpuarray.py", line 2, in
<module>    import pycuda.autoinit  File "C:\PyCuda\pycuda\autoinit.py", line 1,
in <module>    import pycuda.driver as cuda  File "C:\PyCuda\pycuda\driver.py",
line 1, in <module>    from _driver import *ImportError: No module named
_driverhow can I solve it?thanks and sorry for the newbieness of this
postden3bChiacchiera ovunque ti trovi.  Prova il nuovo Web Messenger
Suonerie, sfondi, screensaver: personalizza PC e cellulare

Do you want to share with newbies how you solved this instead of just saying you
solve it? That will be much appreciated.

Re: ImportError: No module named _driver

Matthew Lawson

> > Problem solved.Sorry for bothering you!From: den3b-

I'm currently running into this issue, how did you solve it?

  -Matthew

Re: ImportError: No module named _driver

blahblahblah
Hello, I'm not sure if i'm posting this in the right place but hopefully someone with this problem will find it.

It turns out, if you try to import any of the pycuda files while you are in the directory that you extracted the pycuda tar.gz file (for me it was ~/Desktop/pycuda-0.94.2) then they will fail with the above error. All you have to do to fix this is be in another directory. Hopefully this saves someone some time.

Re: ImportError: No module named _driver

maxrider11
This post was updated on .
hi blahblahblah,
I had same error, and tried your way.
I did this :
user@ubuntu:~/pycuda-2011.2.2$ python
Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 20 2012, 22:39:59)
[GCC 4.6.3] on linux2
>>> import pycuda.driver as cuda
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "pycuda/driver.py", line 2, in <module>
    from pycuda._driver import *
ImportError: No module named _driver

But i got error here too:
user@ubuntu:~$ python
>>> import pycuda.driver as cuda
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pycuda-2011.2.2-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/pycuda/driver.py", line 2, in <module>
    from pycuda._driver import *
ImportError: libcurand.so.4: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

I made new directory and tried from there, but same error like latter.
I am doing something wrong. Can you please elaborate ?

Re: ImportError: No module named _driver

Andreas Kloeckner
On Fri, 25 May 2012 13:46:53 -0700 (PDT), maxrider11 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi blahblahblah,
> I had same error, and tried your way.
> /I did this :/
> user@ubuntu:~/pycuda-2011.2.2$ python
> Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 20 2012, 22:39:59)
> [GCC 4.6.3] on linux2
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>   File "pycuda/driver.py", line 2, in <module>
>     from pycuda._driver import *
> ImportError: No module named _driver
>
> /But i got error here too: /
> user@ubuntu:~$ python
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>   File
> "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pycuda-2011.2.2-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/pycuda/driver.py",
> line 2, in <module>
>     from pycuda._driver import *
> ImportError: libcurand.so.4: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
>
> I am doing something wrong. Can you please elaborate ?
Download the 64-bit CUDA toolkit.

Andreas

Re: ImportError: No module named _driver

maxrider11
This post was updated on .
>Download the 64-bit CUDA toolkit.
>
>Andreas

Thanks for response. I see file "cudatoolkit_4.1.28_linux_64_rhel6.x.run" in directory 'Downloads' of prof's account. So, i guess its 64 bit.

edit:problem solved.
Unlike thread starter I would like to share solution for those who need or will need in future:here

Re: ImportError: No module named _driver

mrbirdy857
Hello,

It seems that your posted solution has been taken down by Nvidia...any way you can repost somewhere else? I am having this issue too.